Audi has launched its luxury sedan Audi A8 L with a 4.2 litre TDI turbocharged diesel engine in Mumbai on 3rd August 2012. This flagship sedan’s launch was not as lively as expected but the bottom-line is that we have a new variant in the Audi A8 line-up. Earlier the company had launched the A8 L with a 3.0 litre TDI diesel engine and later launched the range topping 6.3 litre W12 petrol variant and now the 4.2 litre TDI has been launched that will sit above the 3.0 litre variant but below the 6.3 litre one. Popular Bollywood actor Abhishek Bachchan was present at the launch of 2012 New Audi A8 L in Mumbai.
The new variant sports a 4.2 litre bi-turbo V8 engine that puts out 350 BHP of max power and 800 Nm of peak torque. The engine is mated to an 8 speed sequential automatic gearbox that complements the all wheel drive quattro system. The car can sprint from 0 to 100 km/h in just 5.6 seconds and can return an appreciably good fuel efficiency of 13.1 KMPL. The top speed of the car is electronically limited to 250 km/h.
Abhishek Bachchan’s 2012 Audi A8 L Video
2012 Audi A8 L 4.2 TDI Technical Specifications
- Lightweight and yet ultra-strong aluminum body with ASF design
- 13 centimeters longer than the standard version, measures 5.27 meters
- Timelessly elegant and harmonious lines, optional LED headlights
- Optional panoramic sunroof comprising two glass elements
Interior and controls
- Power-adjustable individual rear seats, with the luxurious rear executive seat package available as an option
- Craftsman-level fit and finish, generous list of standard and optional equipment
- Advanced MMI system including MMI touch with a pioneering character recognition, as standard
Assistance and safety systems
- Night vision assistant with pedestrian marking – Optional
- New Audi pre sense basic safety system for avoiding accidents and for minimizing their consequences
- Bang & Olufsen Sound System- optional
- Rear seat entertainment
- Audi Music interface
- One gasoline engine: 4.2 FSI 273 kW (372 hp)
- Two diesel engine: 3.0 TDI 184 kW (250 hp) and 4.2 TDI 258 kW (350 hp)
- Newly developed, electronically controlled eight-speed tiptronic standard
- quattro all-wheel drive standard
- Lightweight suspension, balanced axle load distribution
- Audi drive select driving dynamic system including standard air suspension and adaptive damping
At the launch, Mr. Michael Perschke, Head, Audi India quoted:
“After the overwhelming response to the high-tech Audi A8 L in India, we have launched a variant of the flagship of the brand with a powerful diesel engine. True to our brand philosophy of ‘Vorsprung durch Technik’, the Audi A8 L 4.2 TDI epitomizes a new level of sporty performance combined with technical intelligence and engineering art. The car symbolizes true luxe mobility with its opulence, sophistication and aspirational value. The Audi A8 L has been a benchmark in its segment and the new variant will redefine automotive excellence in India”.
India is the fastest growing market for Audi and the company takes our market very seriously. By the end of this year the company wishes to launch two new products of which one would be the S6 sports saloon. Today the brand also opened the Navi Mumbai showroom and by the end of 2012 Lucknow and Goa showrooms will come up. Audi was the fastest growing brand for the year 2011 and undoubtedly the credit goes to the latest addition Audi Q3. By the end of 2012 the company will start assembling the Q7 locally as well.
2012 Audi A8 L 4.2 TDI Price In India
The car is priced at Rs. 10,075,000 (ex-showroom Mumbai).