In October, 2008 at the Paris Motor Show BMW first unveiled the 7 Series ActiveHybrid. Later in 2009 it announced the production model of the same. The 2011 production model was not a full hybrid but a mild one featuring a small 0.4 kilowatt-hour lithium ion battery. The electric motor was combined with a 4.4 litre twin turbocharged V8 engine and impressively the car registered an 18% improved fuel efficiency over its no-hybrid siblings.
In 2012 the company is back with next iteration of the Series 7 ActiveHybrid, the 2013 BMW 7 ActiveHybrid. On the exterior the car features new LED headlights with hallmark BMW corona ring headlamps. On the inside the car now features new new leather seats, optimized noise levels, Rear Seat Entertainment package and sound system with extending centre speaker.
Some of the key features of the 2013 model are as below:
- New full-LED headlights, a prominent BMW kidney grille and a modified front apron define the unmistakable appearance of the new BMW 7 Series range
- New to the cockpit are the multifunctional instrument display allowing the driver to select a variety of information and the central Control Display with 3D graphics.
- New Rear Seat Entertainment package
- New and upgraded engine variants raise the bar in terms of output and efficiency. Eight-speed automatic transmission is fitted as standard. Fuel savings of up to 25 per cent are possible.
- Engine line-up ranges from a BMW TwinPower Turbo diesel unit that holds the title of the world’s most powerful straight-six diesel engine to the second-generation BMW ActiveHybrid 7.
- Advanced features such as proactive hybrid technology and the Driving Experience Control switch with ECO PRO mode enhance both driving comfort and efficiency.
- Optimized chassis – with self-leveling air suspension at the rear axle – gives ride comfort a noticeable boost.
- New Connected Drive highlights: latest-generation Professional navigation system, BMW Night Vision with Dynamic Light Spot, anti-dazzle High-Beam Assistant, BMW Parking Assistant, Driver Assistant Plus, Active Protection.
Under the hood the car sports comprehensively revised engines which are not only extremely fuel efficient but low on emissions as well. The engine is coupled to an eight speed automatic transmission. Petrol powertrain options include the 12 cylinder engine available with the flagship 760i, BMW 740i with a new BMW TwinPower turbo six cylinder in-line engine and the 750i with the revised V8 petrol unit. Diesel options include six cylinder units with 730d and 740d. Latest addition to the diesel range is 750d xDrive that sports a new M Performance TwinPower Turbo six cylinder in-line engine.
Additional features include Auto Start-Stop function, Brake Energy Regeneration, the Driving Experience Control switch with ECO PRO mode, BMW Night Vision + Dynamic Light Spot with pedestrian recognition technology (unique in the premium segment), the anti-dazzle LED High-Beam Assistant, Driver Assistant Plus with Lane Departure Warning and Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, Active Protection with automatic fatigue recognition and Speed Limit Info including the No Passing Info display using road sign symbols etc.
BMW 7 Series Price In India
The ongoing model of BMW 7 series is priced at around Rs. 94 Lakhs ex-showroom Delhi for the BMW 740 Li. The new generations model is expected to cost around Rs. 1 Crore ex-showroom Delhi.
We will keep you posted on the latest details, stay tuned to Car Blog India.
Get latest updates FREE via email by signing up for our Free Email Newsletter, you can also follow us on Twitter or join our Official Facebook Page. You can catch more action on cars and test drive video reviews on our Official YouTube Channel.