Updated on 3rd October 2013
Skoda Auto India has launched the 2014 Skoda Octavia in India. After a month of teasing the details of the car, Skoda will finally be announcing the price and other details of the much awaited car.
“The Octavia had launched Škoda back in 2001 and today the Indian market is a critical component in Škoda’s global plans. The launch of the new Octavia marks a milestone for Škoda India as well reiterates its strong commitment to the Indian market. Octavia’s arrival into the Indian market also kicks off a five year strategy for Škoda which will make the customers the brand’s primary focus in addition to our long-standing reputation for making great products,” said Mr. Sudhir Rao, Managing Director, Škoda Auto India
“The new Octavia is our attempt to make the best car in its class and we are confident that it will redefine standards in its segment. A joy to look at and a greater joy to drive, the new Octavia is sure to captivate the hearts and minds in India,” said Mr. Paweł Szuflak, Director, Sales & Marketing, Škoda Auto India
Skoda Octavia Active 1.4 TSI : Rs. 13.95 Lakh
Skoda Octavia Ambition 1.4 TSI: Rs. 14.95 Lakh
Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.8 TSI (Automatic): Rs. 18.25 Lakh
Skoda Octavia Active 2.0 TDI: Rs. 15.55 Lakh
Skoda Octavia Ambition 2.0 TDI (Manual): Rs 16.55 Lakh
Skoda Octavia Ambition 2.0 TDI (Automatic): Rs. 17.55 Lakh
Skoda Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI (Automatic): Rs. 19.45 Lakh
All prices mentioned are ex-showroom Delhi.
You know how the car looks, well you can have a look at the slide below. It is a whole lot different from the previous generation Octavia (Laura for us in India) in every way.
Standard equipment includes:
- 16-inch alloy wheels (The Active variant gets a different design)
- Chrome lined radiator grille
- Electrically operated ORVMs
- Body coloured bumpers, ORVM covers (with integrated turn indicators) and door handles
- Front fog lights
- Rear fog lights
- Halogen lamps with manual leveling
- ORVM defogger
- Rear windscreen defogger
- Underbody protective cover
With the Ambition variant you get the following added equipment:
- Automatic headlights
- Halogen Daytime running lamps
- Automatically dimming ORVMs
- Parking sensors at the rear
- Coming home and leaving home lights
- Boarding spot lamps
- Electrically foldable ORVMs
You get the following extra equipment in the Elegance variant:
- Rear bootlid spoiler
- Bi-xenon headlights with automatic leveling
- Adaptive headlights
- Reatractable headlight washers
- LED daytime running lamps
- Front fog lamps with cornering function
- Parking sensors at the front and rear
- Panoramic sunroof with automatic close function in case of rain
Standard equipment includes:
- Chrome trim on infotainment and air-conditioning controls, steering wheel, interior door handles, gear-shift selector, front storage compartment lid and instrument cluster dials
- Decor on front centre console and door panels (silver alloy on the Active variant, wood on the Ambition and Elegance variant)
- Dual tone dashboard, centre console and door panels (Onyx and Ivory)
- Ivory upholstery
- Dimming IRVM (manual on Active and automatic on Ambition and Elegance)
- Infotainment system with USB / AUX / SD Card/ Portable media player connectivity, connected to 8 speakers
- Multi-function display on the instrument console
- Gear change indicator (manual transmission equipped cars only)
- Reading lamps front and rear
- Illuminated storage spaces: In the cabin and the luggage compartment
- 12v power socket in the centre console
- Front sun visors with vanity mirrors
- Rear seat armrest with cup holders
- Storage compartment under front armrest
- Front glovebox with cooling
- Storage compartment under steering wheel
- Driver seat height adjustment
- Manual A/C on the Active variant, ‘Climatronic’ dual zone A/C on the Ambition and Elegance variant.
- Rear A/C vents
- Leather wrapped steering wheel, gear shifter and hand brake lever
- Fabric seats on the Active variant
- Front and rear electric (tinted) windows with one-touch operation
- Height and telescopic adjust for the steering wheel
- Textile floor mats
The Ambition variant gets:
- Infotainment system display: 5.8 inch touch-enabled TFT screen with parkatronic display and proximity sensor
- Bluetooth phone connectivity for voice calls and music streaming, with controls on the steering wheel
- Customisable multi-function display
The Elegance variant gets:
- 12-way electrically adjustable driver seat with memory function
- Height adjustable front passenger seat
- Retractable rear windscreen sunshade
Standard features include:
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
- Anti-slip and Speed-regulating traction control
- Dual front airbags
- Height adjustable three-point seatbelts with pre-tensioners at the front
- Three point seatbelts for all three rear passengers
- Height adjustable front head restraints, two at the rear
- Two child seat attachment points on the rear seat
- Engine immobiliser with floating code
- Fuel supply cut-off in case of an accident
- Acoustic warning for high speed
The Ambition variant gets:
- An electronic front differential for better traction
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Multi-Collision Braking: car brakes automatically if it does not detect the driver braking after a collision
The Elegance variant gets these additional safety features:
- Tyre pressure monitor
- Side airbags at the front
- Curtain airbags at the front and rear
- Cruise control
The 2014 Skoda Octavia has a590-litre luggage compartment at the back, but that’s not all:
- 590-litres normal luggage capacity, 1580-litres with the rear seats folded.
- Foldable luggage hooks in the luggage compartment (1 in the Ambition variant and 2 in the Elegance variant)
- Six load-anchoring points in the luggage compartment
- 60:40 rear seat split
- Storage space under the passenger seat on the Elegance variant
- Storage compartments in the front and rear centre console
Engine and Transmission
The 2014 Skoda Octavia is available with three engine choices, in three trim levels and with three transmission options.
1.4-litre turbocharged petrol engine with an output of 138 BHP / 250 Nm, mated to a 6-speed manual transmission with a fuel efficiency of 16.81 KMPL
1.8-litre turbocharged petrol engine with an output of 177 BHP / 250 Nm, mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission with a fuel efficiency of 14.72 KMPL
2.0-litre turbocharged diesel engine with an output of 140 BHP / 320 Nm, mated to either a 6-speed manual transmission (20.61 KMPL) or a 6-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission (19.28 KMPL)
Looks like the 2014 Skoda Octavia is a very well priced, feature-rich car. All the variants are pretty good value for money, the lower Active variant doesn’t lose any essential features. The variant we are most excited by is the 1.8 TSI equipped Elegance.
So when is the Octavia vRS coming to India Skoda?
What do you think of the 2014 Skoda Octavia? Let us know in the comments section below.
Updated on 24th September 2013
We have received an invite from Skoda India to an event on 3rd October, their Facebook page confirms that it will be on the occasion of the launch of the 2014 Skoda Octavia.
So, we will be there covering the event live, and we will update this story with all the latest news on the car. Stay tuned!
Updated on 2 September 2013
The Czech automaker Skoda had announced its new Octavia in August 2013. Now, it has been further established that this car will be launched in the first week of October this year. The Aurangabad based plant has already has the production going at full swing. Octavia’s first generation model was discontinued in the Indian market about 4 years ago. Since then, it is the first re-appearance of the mid segment car. Further, the company has already announced that it will soon phase out Laura from India and its vRS and petrol variants are already out of supply.
Hence, they needed to launch this new Octavia else, there would have been a huge void in the market. The company has already invited the bookings and the test drives will be on soon after the launch. There will be multiple engine options available to choose from. The 1.4-litre petrol and 2.0-litre diesel engines will be offered first and the 1.8 liter petrol engine will come later.
The price of the diesel engine will be between Rs. 14 – 18 lakhs and the base model in the petrol engine can be availed for Rs. 14 lakhs. Its differentiation includes superb interiors, ample space, boot capacity and dynamics.As far as competition is concerned, it shares many features with Volkswagen Jetta. However, Octavia’s base model is more expansive as compared with Jetta.
Volkswagen’s MQB platform seems better than Octavia’s platform and the former has received many words of praise. It further has to rub shoulders with the likes of Chevrolet Cruze, Renault Fluence and Hyundai Elantra et al. Hence, Skoda will have a lot to prove on price as well as performance frontier. The best performance will be delivered on the 2.0 liter diesel engine.
Skoda Laura will now get a slew of discounts so this might just be the right time to buy a Laura as well. Barring the Rapid, Skoda cars have not been doing well in the country and the launch of the Octavia will help the company restore its long lost glory.
Updated on 29th July 2013
The 2014 Skoda Octavia will be revealed in India on 9th August 2013. We will be bringing you updates from the event, do stay tuned to Car Blog India.
Updated on 21st June 2013
The next generation Skoda Octavia (Laura in India) is one of the most awaited D segment sedans for a while as the car is expected to bring back the good old days of Skoda’s dominance in the segment. The car had touched down on Indian shores a while ago and was caught testing a lot of times. New spy shots reveal the interior of the 2014 Skoda Octavia for the first time and they look quite classy, don’t you think?
You can see a 3-spoke steering wheel which looks quite elegant, it replaces the 4 spoke unit that is at present one of the major characteristics of Skoda cars. The car will hit the roads with the Skoda’s redesigned logos and badges. The car in the picture has 7 speed DSG gearbox which is the one found presently on the diesel Jetta.
The car is based on the MQB platform which will be underpinning the upcoming Audi A3 sedan. The MQB platform has made the Octavia bigger on the inside, lighter on the whole and has helped it achieve a good power to weight ratio for better performance and fuel efficiency.
The Skoda Octavia has been the car which the folks back at Skoda will be proud of because the car has been one of the best sellers from the stable of Skoda. The company at the launch of the car had clearly mentioned that it was expecting the car to become one of the best sellers like its previous generation. The word on the street is that the car will hit the Indian roads around Diwali-Dusshera which is considered one of the most auspicious times to buy a car. The car has had a cult of its own in India from quite a time and the launch of the next generation Octavia will only strengthen the followers of the car.