The price hike of diesel and petrol is literally forcing people to switch either to CNG and LPG powered vehicles or public transport and in such a situation we need something unique. So how different could one be? A diesel motorcycle ? The concept of an efficient diesel motorcycle has not occurred recently but has been in several minds over the past few decades.
Many diesel powered motorcycles were produced during past years but only a few are in existence today of which mostly are utility vehicles. The Indian market even had a diesel Royal Enfield once and very soon it is going to get the next generation diesel motorcycle.
BVR Subbu, who is an extremely ambitious entrepreneur and also served Hyundai for a couple of crucial years is planning to come up with its own diesel engine manufacturing unit. The unit will be set up in Chennai and will be called as Altius Automotive Technologies. Hayes Diversified Technologies(HDT), an American firm dedicated to supplying military vehicles and equipment to the US Army will be partnering Altius.
Together they plan to build a 670CC diesel motorcycle called as Altius Scimitar 670 Diesel and the same is expected to see its Indian launch in the year 2012. This expected bike is unique in a way that it incorporates several important features into one and ultimately becomes the most durable, reliable and fuel efficient motorcycle.
Altius Scimitar 670 Diesel Motorcycle Specifications In India
A 670cc multifuel diesel engine designed by Hayes Diversified Technologies has been fitted into a very successful enduro frame of Kawasaki KLR650′s chassis to give birth to this amazing two wheeled machine. The bike is slow on picking up pace with a low revving engine but has immense torque enough to impress the rider. It produces a maximum power of 33 BHP and a maximum torque of 54 Nm.
Some of the remarkable things about the same include a top speed of 150 km/h, a 0-100 km/hr sprint time of 10 seconds and a claimed mileage of 45 km/l at constant 90 km/h which appeals a lot.
Altius Scimitar 670 Diesel Motorcycle Price In India
The only downside is the bikes price of Rs.1.75 lakh but we believe that the performance stats justify it well.
Technical Specifications Of Altius Scimitar 670 Diesel Motorcycle
- Maximum speed in excess of 152 kph (95 mph)
- acceleration 0-53 kph (30 mph), 3.3 sec / 0-106 kph (60 mph), 9.7 sec
- minimum constant speed less than 5 kph (3 mph)
- turning radius less than 2.1 meters (7 feet)
- gradability 60%
- fording depth 610 mm (24 inches)
- fuel mileage 46.6 kpl @ 90 kph (96 mpg @ 55 mph)
- range 653 km @ 90 kph (408 miles @ 55 mph)
- fuel jp8, jp5, jp4, avtur, jet-a1, diesel, biodiesel
- Type patent pending 4-stroke, indirect injection (idi), single cylinder, liquid cooled, heavy-fuel engine
- displacement 670cc
- power 33 BHP @ 5700 rpm
- torque 53 nm (38 ft.-lbs.) @ 3300 rpm
- lubrication wet sump, compatible with mil-l-2104, mil-l-46152 & mil-l-46167 lubricants
- air filtration high capacity, 3-stage, oiled foam, reusable
- transmission 5-speed, clutch less, constant mesh, return shift
- final drive self lubricated, sealed, o-ring roller chain
- Battery 12 volt, 625 cca, maintenance free dry cell
- alternator 14 amp, 14 volt, ac, three phase
- standard lighting dot approved lighting system
- blackout lighting driving, marker & tail/stop lights meeting mil-std-1179 with ir driving lights
Controls & instrumentation
- Handlebars & controls heavy duty with integral hand and control guard
- throttle dual cable with auto and manual return, water and dust resistant
- cables nylon lined, water and dust resistant
- speedometer calibrated in mph & kph with resettable odometer, illuminated
- instruments illuminated speedometer calibrated in kph and mph, resettable odometer, tachometer, engine temperature gauge, neutral indicator, directional indicator and high beam
- Frame semi-double cradle, welded high-tensile steel mainframe with removable rear section
- front suspension telescopic forks, hydraulic damped and sealed with non-reflective boots
- rear suspension swing arm with multi-link actuated adjustable shock, sealed needle bearings at all pivot points
- engine guards skid plate with tubular engine and radiator guard
- foot pegs safety folding, spring return
- fuel tank rotationally molded plastic, 14 liter (4.25 gallon) capacity
- wheels heavy duty, wire-spoke with alloy rims
- tires dunlop d606, dual-purpose (on/off-road) tires, dot approved
- front brake/rear brake single 280mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper / single 240mm disc, single-piston caliper
- body headlight cover, air filter box, fenders, seat base, side panels, chain guard
- tools full operator tool kit
- equipment rack heavy duty rear equipment rack with 23 kg (50 lb) capacity
- equipment case side mounted, hard sided equipment cases optional
Weights & measurements
- Dry weight 176 kg (389 lbs)
- max width 960 mm (37.8 in)
- max length 2296 mm (90.4 in)
- max height 1219 mm (48 in) mirrors not included
- wheel base 1481 mm (58.3 in)
- ground clearance 211 mm (8.3 in)
- colors desert tan, military green or black (special color upon request)