The all-new BMW ActiveHybrid 7, which the brand claims is the most efficient way to experience luxury and dynamics, was launched on 23rd July at Bird Automotive, the BMW dealership in Gurgaon. The luxury sedan seamlessly integrates the highly efficient combustion engine and energy-saving electric motor to increase the efficiency while delivering the driving dynamics typical of BMW. The lone ranger of the Luxury Hybrid Car segment, will now be available at BMW dealerships in Delhi NCR (National Capital Region), Mumbai and Chennai as a CBU (Completely built-Up) unit priced at INR 1.35 Crores (ex-showroom price). As we reiterate, being the first ever Hybrid from any Luxury car maker in India, the BMW ActiveHybrid L does not carry the pressure of contributing to the sales figures but will be looked upon as more of a brand showcase product.
Mr. Philipp von Sahr, President, BMW Group India said, “Hybrid vehicles are milestones in a time of change toward low-emission driving. It’s no coincidence that we call our hybrid models ‘BMW ActiveHybrid’. It’s because they supply the full dynamics of a BMW with outstanding efficiency. The all-new BMW ActiveHybrid 7 introduces a fundamentally new driving experience in the luxury segment that India has never seen before. It is the perfect choice to savour the agility and performance of a BMW 7 Series in a hybrid vehicle, without having to compromise in any way on comfort or spaciousness.”
The BMW ActiveHybrid 7 is available only in petrol engine which works in perfect union with lithium-ion high-performance battery and coordinated by an intelligent hybrid system. The BMW TwinPower Turbo six-cylinder in-line petrol engine with 320 BHP and 450 Nm of torque is distinguished by its free-revving character and power delivery. Its tremendous thrust can even be perceptibly increased with temporary support from the 40 kW electric motor via the boost function, such as when overtaking. It provides impromptu extra power without any additional fuel consumption.
ActiveHybrid 7 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in only 5.7 seconds with a system output of up to 500 Nm of torque. In pure electric mode, the vehicle can be driven without generating local emissions at up to 60 km/h, with a range of up to four kilometres. The high-performance lithium-ion battery supplies the energy needed to run on electric motor alone with maximum efficiency. The innovative battery is charged on every journey and with the help of energy regeneration as soon as you lift off or apply the brake. The BMW just like its M badged sedans has yet again provided full autonomy to its customer by the Driving Experience Control switch. The driver is able to choose between different driving modes to suit the driving conditions (ECO PRO, Comfort, Sport and Sport+). In the ECO PRO mode, all the on-board systems are set to maximum efficiency to dramatically minimise fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. On the other hand, the SPORT or SPORT+ driving modes reveal maximum dynamism.
- Brake Energy Regeneration: As soon as the driver takes his/her foot off the accelerator, the car’s redundant kinetic energy is transformed into storable electrical energy. The battery is thus charged ‘for free’.
- Wide-ranging and Detailed Aerodynamics Optimisation which helps BMW vehicles have an outstanding drag coefficient.
- Electric Power Steering: The electromechanical steering only operates during the actual steering process. When driving straight ahead, or at a constant steering angle, the electric motor does not consume any energy which helps in fuel saving of up to 3%.
- Extreme body-shell rigidity and low weight is the principle behind BMW’s Light Weight Construction.
- Run-Flat tyres remain functional even after a complete loss of pressure.
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- Airbags: Eight airbags are installed for precise protection: driver and passenger airbags as well as side airbags.
- BMW Restraint system for the driver and front passenger, comprises three-point seat belts combined with integral tensioners and force limiters.
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
- Brake Assist, brake drying function and braking readiness
- Bumper System with reversible aluminium impact absorbers
- Run-Flat tyres remain functional even after a complete loss of pressure
- Tyres with reduced rolling resistance
- Alpine White as non-metallic paintwork
- Glacier Silver
- Sapphire Black
- Cashmere Silver
- Milano Beige
- Space Grey
- Imperial Blue Brilliant Effect
- Sophisto Grey II Brilliant Effect
- Mineral White.
The exclusive Nappa leather upholstery is available in:
- Ivory White/Black
- Saddle Brown light/ Black
- Veneto Beige colour combinations
Interior trims offered are:
- Fine-wood trim Burr Walnut with inlays
- Fine-wood trim Ash Grain Anthracite
- Fine-wood trim Fineline high-gloss
- Fine-wood trim Polar Grain Light high-gloss
The all-new BMW ActiveHybrid 7 proves that a car can become more efficient while, at the same time, delivering even greater dynamics. This full hybrid has the latest and most innovative BMW ActiveHybrid technology. Using intelligent energy management, it captures surplus energy, stores it and then converts it back into motion whenever required.
The BMW ActiveHybrid 7 as of now will not be competing with any rival sedan, as we mentioned it is the first of its kind. But following BMW’s lead, an Audi A8 and Mercedes-Benz S Class, Hybrid versions might enter the market in coming months and challenge BMW’s hegemony in the luxury hybrid car segment.
What do you think of the BMW ActiveHybrid 7? Let us know in the comments section below.