While the concerned automobile industry body SIAM is working on a voluntary recall policy for car manufacturers in India, manufacturers such as Tata, Honda, Maruti Suzuki, Toyota and BMW have recalled their products in the recent past to rectify defects.
The next car maker making its entry into the list is Ford. Ford India has initiated a recall for tow of its popular products, Ford Figo hatchback and recently rechristened Ford (Fiesta) Classic. The company is recalling identified batches of Figo and Classic for suspected problems related to the Rear Twist Beam (RTB) and Power Steering Hose (PAS). In total 1,28,665 cars have been recalled out of which 1,11,000 cars have been recalled for rear twist beam defect and 17,655 units have been recalled for steering hose problem.
Ford suspects that Figo and Fiesta cars manufactured between September 2010 and February 2011 could have a fault in the rear twist beam and power steering hose. The company is also inspecting all the units of both the cars manufactured between January 2008 and December 2010. As per Ford, the only solution to this problem is replacing the PAS hose of all the Figos and Fiesta Classics for free. The twist beam is a part of rear suspensions setup which is prone to breakage in some of the affected cars. Breaking of the twist beam makes the rear suspension loose its stability and affect the drivability and handling of the car. The steering hose problem is related to the potential leak in the power steering fluid hose which may make the power steering ineffective and may also cause fumes in case the fluid drips on hot exhaust-related components.
Official Word From Figo
We have initiated a voluntary pre-emptive Field Service Action to inspect certain batches of Ford Figo and Ford Classic models for potential issues related to the Rear Twist Beam (RTB) and the Power Steering Hose (PAS). Customers from the identified batches of vehicles are being requested to take their vehicles to their nearest dealership where
- We are inspecting the Rear Twist Beam for all Ford Figo and Ford Classic vehicles manufactured between January 2008 and December 2010
- All Ford Figo and Ford Classic petrol-engined vehicles manufactured from September 2010 till February 2011 will have the PAS Hose replaced as a precautionary measure and to ensure the long term durability of the vehicle.
Steps To Be Followed By Figo and Fiesta Owners
- Go to http://www.india.ford.com/support
- Enter your Figo or FIesta’s 17 digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and click Submit
- If your is found to be belonging to the above mentioned batch, you will be immediately notified
- Lastly you will can schedule an appointment with your nearby Ford dealer and get the part replaced for free
Where To Find VIN Of Your Car (Any Ford Model)
- The number can be found under the driver’s seat. Lift the black coloured flap and the inscribed number will be visible there
- Alternatively you can remove the floor mat from under the driver seat and lift the black flap to reveal the VIN
Some Ford owners could also get official emails from Ford itself for a free checkup and replacement.