2019 KTM RC 390 has been spotted testing outside India. So, here are our expectations from the new-generation bike.
KTM RC 390 is the top-of-the line sportsbike offering from the brand. KTM only has 2 RCs in India – 390 and 200 – and globally, an additional one – RC 125.
RC 390 made Indian debut in 2014. Of course, its naked version is more popular, but even the fully-faired version has its own fan base.
Last month, a spy shot of the 2019 KTM RC 390 surfaced online. It was under camouflage and was spotted outside India. The spotted test mule looks a bit different from the current one.
So, here are our expectations of the next-generation RC 390.
1. 2019 KTM RC 390 will be getting a BS-6 engine for sure. However, reports say that it might get a retuned engine, which will offer slightly higher power figures.
As of now, the RC 390 gets a 327cc liquid cooled engine that produces 43 BHP and 36 Nm of peak torque. The engine comes mated with a 6-speed gearbox. The retuned engine might offer torque on low-end, which is a very irritating problem in KTM bikes.
2. Design changes on the next-gen would make it look a bit more aggressive. Expect a more intense body fairing, a new clear windshield, new set of dual LED headlamps and a slightly revised rear part.
The windshield on the spotted test mule is quite bigger than that on the current one. This windshield is now becoming a signature KTM mark. With a revised front fairing, we expect the overall dimension to increase. This means that 2019 KTM RC 390 will be bigger than earlier.
3. Based on the spy pictures, we expect that KTM will offer a bigger fuel tank with the RC 390. It gets a mere 10 litre tank including the reserve fuel capacity.
KTM claims that RC 390 offers a mileage of 35 kmpl, which gives us an overall riding range of 350 kms. However, on real road conditions, the mileage drops down to 30 kmpl, with a riding range of 300 kms.
For a motorcycle that is capable of long tours, the range seems a bit low. In the 2019 version, we expect the capacity to increase by 1-2 litres.
4. Last year, KTM Duke 390 got a new TFT-colour instrument panel. The instrument panel is a Bluetooth-connected unit, usable with KTM ‘My Ride’ app on your phone.
The instrument panel is very informative and comes with features such as call notification, call answer or reject, control of music playback, switchable ABS, different riding modes, information about the bike and much more.
This update did not come up in the RC 390. It still comes with the basic digital cluster, that comes on Duke 200, 250 and 125. So, the 2019 version will definitely get the new instrument panel.
5. The spy pics suggest that 2019 KTM RC 390 gets a new subframe. It is different and better than the current one. As a result, the suspension setup might also receive some update.
RC 390 gets the WP USD non-adjustable forks at the front. The new version might get an adjustable unit at the front.