Talking about Motorsports, India never had any popular motorsport series going around but the year 2011 has offered two most respected racing series. First we have the very popular and extremely successful series, Formula One which is scheduled for inauguration between 28-30 October. The next interesting supercar series coming up is the i1 Super Series, about which we had covered earlier where Sachin Tendulkar were approached for buying a racing team in the same.
The latter series has finally been given a date. On 18th December 2011, the Super series will officially set off and the details regarding the same are as below:
- The first season during December will feature a total of 9 teams containing two cars each, totaling the number to 18 cars
- The first edition will conduct 14 races of which the first seven are scheduled as follows:
- New Delhi on 18 Dec 2011
- Abu Dhabi on 8 Jan 2012
- Doha on 15 Jan 2012
- Dubai on 22 Jan 2012
- Sepang on 5 Feb 2012
- Pattaya on 12 Feb 2012 and
- Chennai on 26 Feb 2012
The venues for the remaining seven races are yet to be decided but are expected to be declared soon. The teams are not being auctioned to the masses but are only available for invited individuals who will have to pay a price of $ 5 million. Some of the invitees who have been approached include Sachin Tendulkar, Vijay Mallya and Richard Branson.
Somewhat similar to Formula One the series will feature standard cars provided by Radical Sports Car and the cars to debut in this very series will be known as Radical SR3. Powering the cars will be a 4 cylinder engine generating maximum power of 210 BHP @ 10,500 RPM. The car also clears the FIA Production Sports Car Safety Structure Test. Other features of the SR3 include
- A carbon fiber steel frame chassis
- 6 speed sequential gearbox
- Integral reverse gear system
- Interchangeable gear ratios
- Top speed of 250 KMPH
- Braking and cornering gravitational force of 2.0G and 2.6G respectively
At last the winner of the race will be awarded with a cash price of $ 2 Million along with a priceless trophy.
check out more-