Updated on 24th April 2012 :
Skoda is one the most profitable and least-impacted-by-economic-crisis brand of the Volkswagen Group. The impressive growth of Skoda globally has made it one of the focus brands for the group. Recently CAR Magazine has revealed Skoda’s next 5 years roadmap and product plan for India, China and Russia. Skoda is betting big on these emerging markets for its own growth and sales of its new cars.
image – Skoda Superb Combi
Skoda India Roadmap Highlights and Long Term Strategy
Some of the highlights of the information revealed includes:
- After falling apart from Suzuki alliance to develop small car, Volkswagen will develop its compact cars with Skoda for global markets.
- Skoda will develop development centers in India, Russia and China for low cost development of cars and these centers will be entirely responsible for global compact models development for VW group.
- Skoda will keep its focus on providing more and more products using flexible car platforms for reduced input costs, reduced assembly time and provide high quality cars at lower price.
- Skoda cars will use drivetrains – Engine and transmission components by Volkswagen which includes existing petrol and diesel engine lineup. For eco-friendly vehicles, Skoda will use VWs hybrid, CNG, LPG engine and micro-hybrid car powertrains for Skoda lineup of cars.
- To keep the costs of cars low, the top end variants will come with 4 wheel drive options as optional features ensuring that there are more affordable variants in the range of cars.
- Skoda will continue to expands its four model lines named RS (sport), Greenline (eco), Scout (crossover) and Laurin & Klement (luxury).
Skoda India New Models Till Year 2016
- 2012: Rapid saloon, Octavia saloon replacement, Yeti facelift, five-door Citigo
- 2013: Rapid Spaceback, Octavia Combi replacement, Superb saloon/Combi facelift
- 2014: Fabia hatchback/Combi replacement, Roomster replacement, Citigo MPV
- 2015: Superb saloon/Combi replacement, Yeti replacement
- 2016: new crossover larger than Yeti, new MPV larger than Roomster, Rapid/Citigo facelift
Future does look bright for Skoda globally if it is able to maintain all the above plans effectively. However one big factor which is a kind of uncertainty is the global economic crisis which may deepen in coming years if the European economy does not come out of its economic troubles. We will keep a close eye on the developments and will update you with the latest happenings. Stay tuned to us by liking our official Facebook Page and sign up for our free email newsletter.
via – CAR Magazine