The new Honda Brio might be revealed globally in August at the GIIAS 2018. The car’s design will be similar to the earlier revealed Honda Small RS Concept. However, it is not confirmed yet that if Brio will receive a new generation upgrade. Some features might be added in the current generation model.
Honda Brio is a peppy compact hatchback, the entry-level car of Honda. It was launched back in 2013 in India. It sits below the premium hatchback, Honda Jazz. Since its launch, it has not received any major update. Latest reports reveal that the new Honda Brio might break cover in August at the Gaikindo Indonesia International Auto Show (GIIAS) 2018. Additional speculations say that the new generation will be based on the Honda Small RS Concept, which was revealed some time back. It might borrow the design and some styling elements from the RS Concept. No details of the features and engine specs are out yet. Also, this new generation might not launch in India. The current Brio might continue with some new features.
1. It will a rather sporty design, similar to the Small RS Concept. Design elements would include a body-kit, air vents on the fenders and more such sporty elements. The front grille might be similar to the Amaze. It would not get the RS’s rear spoiler and faux-pas air vents.
2. The new Brio could be a bit bigger than the current Brio. The interiors would again be similar to the Honda Amaze. In the interiors, it would get steering mounted controls, upholstery seating and an all-black interior theme. Also, its rather large rear windshield might be shaped a bit.
3. In the features list, it would get a New 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system, New tail-lights with LED elements. Projector headlamps, a Start-stop button with keyless entry and Cruise Control. However, we think that all the features would not come in the Indian spec.
4. Safety features of the new Brio might include ABS and Dual Airbags in the front as a standard fitting, ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts, ESP, EBD and a Stronger body platform. Most of the hatchbacks in its segment include these features only.
5. For the engine, we expect it to continue with the same specs. Currently, the Brio comes only in the 1.2 Litre i-VTEC petrol variant. Owing to the increasing competition, a diesel variant might also be included in the lineup. It might get Honda’s 1.5 Litre i-DTEC diesel engine.
6. The transmission will continue with the 5-speed MT and CVT options. Like the Amaze, it might also get paddle shifters and some CVT features.
7. The India launch is not yet confirmed in India. If it comes to India, it might come in 2019. Some reports suggest that the new generation might not come to India, because the current one is already competitively priced against the main rival, Swift and i10. So, the new upgrade would demand some premium over the current one, making it costlier than its competitors.
8. If it launches in India, expect the new Honda Brio to be priced between Rs 5 Lakhs to Rs 8 Lakhs (ex-showroom). This price range might put the top-spec trim as one of the costliest ones in the segment. But, Honda always puts a higher price on its car, when compared to its rivals.