BMW India launches the new 6th Generation 2012 BMW 3 Series sedan in India on 27th July 2012. BMW India is promoting this car as Ultimat3 and the car has been showcased in disguise at many locations in India prior to launch to create a Buzz about it. There are also promotional cars making rounds of the Indian roads to promote the 6th Generation new 3 Series. In this article, we share all the relevant details of the BMW 3 Series 6th Generation model which you may want to know. Some of the major changes between the 5th Generation and 6th Generation include larger size of the new generation car with increased interior space, especially improved headroom and legroom. The styling is more aggressive and smart with new engines and powertrains included to make the car more agile, efficient and more refined at the same time. It also features improved suspension tuning, some advanced features which make this car more forward looking modern in terms of high-tech features it brings with it.
New BMW 3 Series Exteriors and Interiors Video Review
New BMW 3 Series Features And Specifications
New BMW 3 Series Diesel Engine
The diesel variants (320d series) of the new 3 series are powered by a 4 cylinder twin-turbocharged diesel engine which produces impressive 184 BHP of peak power at 4000 RPM and 380 Nm of torque at as low as 1750 RPM. It can sprint the new 3 series from 0 to 100 KMPH in just 7.6 seconds and reach a top speed of 235 KMPH. The new BMW 3 series diesel is claimed to deliver an average fuel consumption of as much as 18.88 KM per litre.
New BMW 3 Series Petrol Engine
The peppy and rev-happy BMW 3 series 328i petrol is powered by a TwinPower 4 Cylinder petrol engine which a whooping peak power of 245 BHP at 5000 RPM. It produces a impressive peak torque of 350 Nm at just 1250 RPM which is commendable. This is made possible because of twin-scroll turbochargers, Double-VANOS high precision direction injection technologies which make this car reach from 0 to 100 KMPH in just 6.1 seconds. The 328i can touch a top speed of 250 KMPH and delivers an average fuel economy of 14.79 KMPL
Transmission and Performance
Both the petrol and diesel engines have a relatively flat torque curve and almost linear power curve w.r.t the RPM which shows that these engines are well tuned to deliver a pleasurable driving experience. Both these engines are mated to an 8 speed automatic transmission with closely-spaced gear ratios to utilize the optimum revving range of engine at almost all speeds which enabled not only great performance, but also great fuel efficiency without compromising on the performance. The new 3 series is a rear wheel drive car for thrilling performance and has a ground clearance of 140 mm to take on most Indian roads with ease.
The dimensions of the new 3 series are 4624 mm length, 1811 mm in width and 1429 mm in height with a ground clearance of 140 mm, boost space of 480 litres and a wheelbase of 2810 mm.
New BMW 3 Series Features List
The features list of new BMW 3 Series is very long as the car comes loaded with oodles of technology and features. Some of the key features of the 6th Generation BMW 3 Series in India are as follows:
- BMW Full Colour Head-Up Display In front windshield
- Use BMW Apps on the Infotainment system and connect your smartphone with it
- Rear view camera for parking assist
- Regenerative Braking
- Improved Aerodynamics for lesser drag
- Electric power steering for better fuel economy with variable sport steering function
- Eco-Pro Mode to save on fuel
- Auto-Start Stop or Micro Hybrid
- Twin-turbochargers with intercooler for better power and fuel economy
- Dynamic stability control or ESP with traction control
- Front and side curtain Airbags for safety
- Rear wheel drive for thrilling performance and sharp handling
- Electrically adjustable seats with memory function
- Range of leather trims for interiors
- New attractive alloy wheel design 16 and 17 inch options on different variants
New BMW 3 Series Variants And Price
The new 2012 BMW 3 Series 6th Generation model will be available in following variants in India:
- BMW 320d is priced at Rs. 28.90 Lakhs
- BMW 320d Sportline is priced at Rs. 31.50 Lakhs
- BMW320d Luxury Line is priced at Rs. 31.50 Lakhs
- BMW320d Luxury Plus is priced at Rs. 36.90 Lakhs
- BMW 328i Sportline is priced at Rs. 37.90 Lakhs
Out of these 5 variants, 4 are diesel and only one is a petrol variant. This mix has been carefully selected by BMW India keeping in mind the increased demand for diesel cars in the luxury segment.
New BMW 3 Series Pictures & Video
Stay tuned to more updates by Car Blog India.
Get latest updates FREE via email by signing up for our Free Email Newsletter, you can also follow us on Twitter or join our Official Facebook Page. You can catch more action on cars and test drive video reviews on our Official YouTube Channel.