6 Out Of 10 New Hyundai Creta Buyers Opting For Diesel Engine

Hyundai claims that 60% of the buyers of new 2020 Creta are opting for the diesel variants instead of petrol and turbo petrol variants.

Hyundai Creta has crossed the 5 Lakh sales mark in India since its debut in 2015. It instantly became a hit for buyers with a budget of 15 Lakhs and is now among the most popular SUVs of India. The new generation Creta was launched a couple of months back and in just some time, it has already crossed the 65,000 bookings mark.

Further, Hyundai confirms that 60% of the new Creta booked till date are diesel variants. The rest 40% attribute to the petrol and turbo petrol variants. In a time where manufacturers are discontinuing diesel engines due to increased costs and lower demand, Hyundai is proving them wrong.

Also Read: Top 5 Features That Come On Kia Sonet But Not On Hyundai Venue

In the case of Creta, people preferring diesel engines more shows that there are buyers still preferring them over petrol engines. While many experts say that in the future, petrol and green energy will be the major driving force, some are still consistent on the fact that diesel engines will grow further.

Creta gets a 1.5 Litre four-cylinder turbodiesel engine that produces 115 PS and 250 Nm of peak torque. While it may seem a bit low on power, but the torque is quite enough to get it moving. The diesel engine gets two options including a 6-speed MT and a 6-speed torque converter AT. Even its 1.5 Litre petrol engine produce the same power, being paired with a 6-speed MT and a iVT gearbox.

The most enthusiastic variants are the Creta Turbo ones which get a 1.4 Litre T-GDI turbo petrol engine, producing 143 PS and 240 Nm. To make things more exciting, it gets a 7-speed DCT as standard with paddle shifters. Despite this engine being more fun to drive, looks like people are going for better mileage and more torque.

Also Read: Hyundai Creta S Is The Most Practical Variant – Here’s The Reason

The prices of Hyundai Creta commence at Rs 9.99 Lakhs going up to Rs 17.29 Lakhs (ex-showroom). If compared, there’s hardly any difference between the top-end SX(O) trims of Creta diesel and turbo. Probably, that is another reason why the sales of Creta Turbo are not high as expected.