The Honda PCX 125 Hybrid is going to launch in Japan on 14th September. Currently, it is going to launch only in Japan, following which it might launch in the European countries. The India launch is not confirmed yet, however, the PCX scooter was showcased at the 2018 Auto Expo. The scooter is the first hybrid scooter to be mass produced. It gets a maxi-fairing scooter, based on the PCX 125 petrol version. Initially, only 2,000 units will be made for testing. Earlier, it was reported that Honda is working on an electric scooter though. The scooter is fully loaded with some premium features. However, the price of the scooter is also high, which might not work in the Indian markets. Here we list 10 things you must know about the hybrid scooter.
1. The design of the scooter is based on the maxi-style fairing. Globally, maxi-scooters are very popular because they are much powerful and offer more seating space. Unlike the normal scooters, foot resting position, this one gets a bike-type foot resting.
2. In the front, it sports a large windscreen with a V-shaped headlamp cluster. Overall, it would look somewhat unusual, especially in the Indian markets, where such scooters are not yet introduced.
3. The Honda PCX Hybrid scooter gets a 124cc single-cylinder SOHC liquid-cooled, a fuel-injected engine which runs on a hybrid platform. The engine along with a 48 V Lithium-ion battery helps the scooter to be much more fuel efficient.
4. The electric motor will help the scooter in initial acceleration from standstill for up to 4 seconds. Following that, the petrol engine takes over the scooter churning out 12 BHP of power and 12 Nm of torque. The electric motor adds another 1.5 bhp.
5. The features of the scooter include multi-information instrument panel, displaying details like motor assist mode and amount, battery charge status, level and remaining charge. It also shows average fuel consumption for the petrol engine. It goes all LED and uses LED tail lamps and headlights. One of the highlights also features the Honda Smart Key which allows the engine to start with a touch of a button, by just being near to the scooter.
6. For safety and performance, the Honda PCX Hybrid Scooter gets front disc brake with single channel ABS. It also gets Honda’s Idling stop system, which turns off the engine when it is at standstill. Also, the hybrid engine enhances the performance of the scooter. This system does less fuel consumption and is better for the environment.
7. The scooter also gets different assist modes. The modes include – D mode for comfortable riding and better fuel economy and S mode for Sports mode.
8. The India launch is not yet confirmed. The Honda PCX Hybrid scooter was showcased at the 2018 Auto Expo. The scooter is expected to make its debut in India after some 2-3 years when the Indian market seems to be adapting to the concept of electric and hybrid vehicles. Currently, there are only a few electric and hybrid cars in India.
9. The price of the Honda PCX Hybrid scooter is around 432,000 Yen, which after converting in Indian rupees goes up to Rs 2.67 Lakhs (ex-showroom). The costliest scooter in India is the Vespa 150 which goes around Rs 1 Lakhs. Such costly scooters would not run in the Indian market despite their fuel efficiency and features.
10. If the hybrid version comes to India, it will be the first one here. If it gets the given price, it would not get any competition. However, it the petrol version launches, it might face the other 125cc scooters in India.
- Readers Rating
- Rated 4.5 stars
4.5 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Your Rating