A lot of people are seen complaining about their bike’s mileage going down after a year or two. Generally, passenger bike owners and daily commuters care about the mileage, as lesser mileage burns a hole in their pocket. In such cases, we provide you tips on how to increase bike mileage and maintain it efficiently.
Most of the people who buy a new bike, first look out for the mileage of the bike. The standard mileage for each segment is set. Many times you might notice your bike’s average mileage going down. If the fuel efficiency goes down, it affects the life of the bike and causes a toll on the engine. Most of them think that either the bike is faulty or they simply giving it to the service and repair shops. However, there are various measures that you can do yourself to ensure that the bike is fuel efficient enough. So, in this article, we explain how to control your bike’s mileage and increase the average mileage with many do-yourself techniques. Following are the tips and techniques to ensure that the bike mileage is efficient:
1. Avoid heavy gear shifting: Constant gear shifting puts a heavy load on the clutch, which damages it and affects the mileage of the bike. Heavy gear shifting includes quick gear shifts, shifting at high RPM and also driving at low gears. Such things affect the engine and clutch pad, in turn affecting the bike mileage.
2. Avoid using roads where there is heavy traffic: During heavy traffic, constant gear changing causes the petrol to burn. If you are stuck in the traffic and cannot avoid it, then shift the gears slowly and try to switch off the engines when not needed. You can switch engine during traffic signals and huge traffic snarls where you are not able to move your bike.
Also Read: How to Increase Car Mileage – Myths and Tips
3. Avoid sudden acceleration and heavy braking: Sudden acceleration means high RPM and high speed, which burns the petrol heavily. It is advisable to slowly accelerate with appropriate gear shifting at the right RPM. On the other hand, heavy braking also causes petrol loss. In such scenario, it is advised to apply brakes at a safe distance, so that the sudden braking and chances of accidents are avoided.
4. Also, ensure that you ride your bike at a constant speed or most of the bikes have their ‘economy speed’ mentioned on the speedometer. For example, one technique is riding your bike on the top gear if you are above 60 KMPH. This ensures that there is a steady fuel consumption.
5. Carburettor issues play a major role in degrading the bike mileage: If you are experiencing a problem with the mileage of your bike, you should check the carburettor to see if it is tuned or if it is covered with dirt. In both of these situations, the petrol loss is heavy. So, the carburettor should be cleaned and re-tuned, once in a while.
6. The tyre pressure should be checked often to avoid tyre burst as well as to avoid falling of mileage. If your tyre has low pressure, it uses more power to run. More power leads to more load on the engine, thus decreasing the overall mileage of the bike.
7. It is always advised to check the fuel quality and use the fuel which is recommended for your bike. Avoid using adulterated fuel or such fuels which were not recommended for your bike. In such cases, the engine health deteriorates because of irregular fuel intake.
8. Most of them consider this as a myth, but actually, parking your bike under sunlight for hours, evaporates the fuel. Usually, the amount is minimal but generally, parking the bike under sunlight for 8-9 hours should be avoided.
9. If you probably live in a place where is much sand, dirt or dust, then you should regularly lubricate the chain. If the chain is not lubricated enough, the engine takes more power to rotate the chain, absorbing more fuel.
10. Last, but not the least, check engine oil regularly. Bad engine oil gives poor performance and reduces the overall bike mileage.
So, please refer and use these tips to ensure that you get good average mileage on your bike. Stay tuned at CarBlogIndia for more such tips and techniques.
- Readers Rating
- Rated 4.1 stars
4.1 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Your Rating