Delhi is on a high alert following high-level dust storms. The storm resulted in over 120 casualties in the neighbouring states. The dust storms usually start because of high heat levels in the desert areas and are followed by thunderstorms. So, here we will advise you on how to protect your car during a dust storm.
Recently, heavy dust storms in the northern part of India have been troubling the people. These dust storms are followed by heavy thunderstorms in an odd-month, adding to more woes of the people. Reports suggest that these dust storms originate from the desert areas of Rajasthan, where the temperatures are quite high. The scorching heat waves added to the dust storm, that killed over 100 people in the North and North-West India. The affected states are Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Haryana. Also, the MET department has forecasted the dust storms to continue for 2 more days. Following which, various schools are shut down in Haryana and Delhi NCR is put on high alert.
During such dust storms, your car is likely to get affected. You can face various problems while driving through dust storms or even while your car is parked. So, here we have compiled some tips and guides for safeguarding your car from dust storms.
1) While driving through dust storms, reduce your speed as your visibility might be affected. Also, use headlights for proper direction of the road. If your car has fog lamps, then it is advisable to use fog lamps too.
2) While driving, do not open the windows of the car. These dust storms are very harmful to your health, so keep the windows shut. You can preferably use Air Conditioner in the car at low-speed levels.
Also Read: How to Increase Car Mileage – Myths and Tips
3) While driving through a dust storm, always keep the hazard warning lights as it alerts the driver behind your car. The driver behind your car gets easily alert, preventing a possible chance of an accident.
4) If the dust storm gets heavier, then it is advisable to stop your car and park beside the road. You should park the car in the last lane or if a service lane is available with hazard warning lights switched on.
5) A dust storm is usually followed by heavy thunderstorms and rains. So, avoid braking heavily due to reduced traction during unusual rains. Also, keep your speed slow during the thunderstorms and rains.
6) Avoid parking your cars under trees, traffic lights and street lights. The recent dust storms recorded a speed of 60 Km/hr. Such speeds can uproot the trees and street light poles, resulting in heavy damages to your car.
7) In places like Rajasthan, the scorching heat levels make way to a heavy dust storm. In such cases, people living in Rajasthan and especially the desert areas, are advised to carry a bottle of water and some coolant. Sometimes, as the engine heats up during the high heat levels, a bottle of water and some coolant for the engine, is always handy.
8) After a dust storm, wash your car frequently. The dust from such storms, usually stick to the paint and continuously start eroding the paint. Sometimes, heavy dust paves in spite of having anti-rusting.
Also Read: How To Evaluate A Used Car’s Condition
9) In places near a desert or where the dust storms are frequent, it is advisable to apply protective films on the glass, headlights and the paint. Such films are quite a dust and sand repellant and work effectively during a dust storm. Also, the headlamps, paint and glasses can be waxed properly to shield the car from dust. However, these methods are a little costly and are highly advisable in Rajasthan and Gujarat, where dust storms are frequent.
10) You can also take high-quality car covers and tie them tightly. This measure also costs you, as high-quality car covers are advisable. However, sometimes, the continuous flapping of the car covers on the body makes some scratches.
So, here are the tips and guides for protecting your car from a dust storm. Kindly follow the tips to ensure better protection for your car. Keep safe! Keep following Car Blog India for more such articles on how to keep proper care of your cars.
- Readers Rating
- Rated 3 stars
3 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Your Rating