MG Motors will sell the upcoming Wuling Air EV in the Indian market to disrupt the EV space with a budget urban electric car.
MG India plans to launch a compact electric car based on the Wuling Air EV. It is sold in the international market as a mini urban electric car. That is also evident from its body type and dimensions. The EV market is expanding globally and it looks like India might not be that far behind. With the Nexon EV already capturing over 60% market share alone, the market is getting new EVs quite frequently now. There are EVs at the high end of the market as well. But the real volumes and expansion exist at the inexpensive end of the spectrum which MG Motors is trying to capitalise on.
You may also like: Tata Tigor EV Owner Shows How to Charge Car Using Petrol Generator
5 Things About The Upcoming MG 3-Door EV
- Dimensions – Judging by the international model, the Wuling Air EV is not even 3 m long. That makes it around 800 mm shorter than the Nexon EV, which is the shortest EV in our country. Resultantly, the wheelbase of the EV will be around 2 m. This certainly indicates that it is designed for the city commute more than highway journeys.
- Multiple Powertrain Options – The Wuling Air EV will most likely come with two battery-pack options just like in the international markets – a 17.3 kWh and a 26.7 kWh. The larger battery will enable a range of up to 300 km, while the smaller battery would take the EV up to 200 km. The peak power output stands at a decent 41 PS.
You may also like: Do You Know – Not Nexon But Indica Vista is Tata’s First EV
- Features – Despite being a mini urban EV, it won’t be short on features. People these days are reluctant to compromise on creature comforts which is the reason why the Air EV might come with dual 10.25-inch screens (one for the driver’s instrument display and one for the infotainment system). Additionally, it could feature Synthetic Leather Seats, Connected Car Tech, Steering-Mounted Controls, Climate Control and Keyless Entry.
- Safety – It is important to point out that the Wuling Air EV will not compromise on safety features either. It will come with dual airbags, ABS with EBD and a rear parking camera.
You may also like: Jeep Compass vs Jeep Avenger EV Comparison
- Price – Finally, the main talking point about this EV has to be its inexpensive price. That will be the major pull of the product for the potential buyers. While there are no reports yet, we expect it to start at around Rs 8 lakh, ex-showroom. That would make the mass adoption of EVs a reality for a whole bunch of the population. What are your thoughts about the Wuling Air EV that will be sold as an MG product?