Hyundai Creta Diesel Selling More Than Creta Petrol And Turbo Petrol – Why?

More buyers are preferring the Hyundai Creta diesel over the petrol and turbo petrol variants. We evaluate the reason for this!

Hyundai Creta is the best selling car of May 2020, beating the likes of Maruti Baleno, WagonR and even the Grand i10. The new generation SUV was launched a couple of days before the lockdown started and since then, it has recorded more than 30,000 bookings. The deliveries of the new Creta commenced some weeks ago.

Hyundai has revealed that there is a high response received for the Creta among all their other models. Out of the total sales done on the Creta, 55% of it comes from diesel variants. The rest 45% of the total sales is accredited to petrol models, out of which, a very small fraction goes out to turbo petrol units.

Also Read: What Is The Difference Between Hyundai Creta SX And SX (O) Variant?

BS6 emission norms took a toll on the diesel engines and many manufacturers are now rolling out petrol cars only. While experts say that the demand for diesel is still low, the results with Creta are the opposite. It is surely good to know that the demand for diesel engines are not down and are infact, rising gradually.

Snubbing all the myths aside, diesel engines are actually better when it comes to mileage, torque and daily usage. They are more fuel efficient than petrol engines. Diesel engines are torquier and are more helpful while off-roading and taking it on mountain roads. They might be costlier to purchase but the daily cost comes down eventually.

Hyundai Creta gets a new 1.5 Litre turbo diesel engine from the Seltos. The BS6 compliant engine produces 115 PS and 255 Nm of peak torque, while mated to a 6-speed MT and a 6-speed torque converter AT. The ARAI-claimed mileage of Creta diesel is 21.4 kmpl which is a lot higher than 16.8 kmpl which is offered by the petrol and turbo petrol engine.

Also Read: First Accident Pictures Of 2020 Hyundai Creta Out – What Does It Tell About Car’s Safety?

The prices of Creta commence at Rs 9.89 Lakhs going up to 16.15 Lakhs for the petrol variants. The diesel variants are priced from Rs 9.99 Lakhs up to Rs 17.20 Lakhs. The turbo petrol variants are priced from Rs 16.16 Lakhs up to Rs 17.20 Lakhs (all prices ex-showroom Delhi).