Mahindra and SsangYong launched the 2012 Ssangyong Rexton in India at an attractive price tag of Rs. 17.67 Lakhs. This is the first SsangYong SUV in India and is quite popular globally, so both SsangYong and Mahindra (which owns the SsangYong Brand) are quite optimistic about its performance in India. At the launch event in Delhi, we got to ask many crucial questions related to the future roadmaps of both these brands in the years to come and their upcoming projects in collaboration. We got to know many interesting facts about the future roadmap, SUV segment in India in general, future investment plans and more about the SsangYong SUVs which we share with you in this article. Present at the event were Praveen Shah, CEO of Automotive Division of Mahindra and Mahindra and Mr. Johng-Sik Choi, VP, Sales and Marketing HQ, SsangYong Motor Company who shared these insights at the Rexton launch in India.
Some of the key takeaways from the Question and Answer round are:
- M&M and Ssangyong are working together to develop 3 new engine platforms for global products for both the companies which will be developed by 2015
- M&M and SsangYong will work to develop a global network together and will use each other sales and distribution channels
- M&M and SsangYong are also working on common part sourcing for better economies of sales to save costs
- M&M and SsangYong are working on common development and engineering projects
- SsangYong has started selling their cars in South Africa through M&M dealership network
- SsangYong will invest about Rs. 1500 Crore in coming years while M&M will invest Rs. 4000 Crore for the common development activities
- M&M recorded its highest ever monthly sales in Sep 2012
- M&M has launched 6 new products in last one year including XUV5OO, Xylo Refresh, Quanto, Verito refresh, Bolero refresh and Thar.
- Premium SUV Segment in India grew by 28% in FY 11-12
- Quanto has received over 6000+ bookings in few weeks of launch
- 36,000+ XUV500 have been sold in past one year with 14,000 orders still pending deliveries
- Production capacity of 5000 per month XUV5OO will be achieved in October 2012
- SsangYong Rexton SUV for India will be made in Chakan Plant
- The Rexton launched in India is the latest generation (3rd Gen) model which debuted at Paris Motor Show of 2012
- Rexton is now sold in 60 markets including India and is one of most popular products from SsangYong
- Rexton has sold over 3,50,000 units since its launch in 2002
- SUV market in India has doubled in last one year
Stay tuned to Car Blog India for latest updates.