Mahindra & Mahindra was quite confident about the XUV that once launched, it will do well in the market. But I am sure they never thought the XUV would become such a popular car in the market. While it was Tata Safari that used to define the SUV segment earlier, today it is the XUV that has redefined the segment.
The car was launched in the same month last year, and today the company is celebrating its first anniversary. Within this one year, a lot of achievements came through which are as follows:
- The company has sold more than 35,000 XUV within just 1 year of launch
- The demand for XUV has surged to such a level that the company has increased the production to 5000 units a month
- The XUV has captured nearly 60% of the market in high-end SUV segment
- It has also been the most awarded Car/SUV in India winning 22 awards in 2011-12
Not just in India, the car was also a hit in Australia and South Africa and this further motivated the manufacturer to launch the car in Europe, followed by other international markets. Even after 1 year of launch, the car is receiving amazing booking numbers; 14,000+ bookings as of end September 2012.
Gladly the company has opened the gates for the all wheel drive (AWD) version of XUV which is now available for bookings.
Speaking on the one year anniversary of the XUV, Pravin Shah, Chief Executive, Automotive Division, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. said “We have been overwhelmed by the enthusiastic response from customers to the XUV500 that has led to impressive sales of 35,000+ in just one year. This is a benchmark for sales among high-end SUVs, for which we would like to thank our esteemed customers.”
Some of the awards that the car received are as below:
- XUV was rated the 5th best launch of 2011 across all categories by Business Standard Strategist
- Yahoo India acknowledged XUV as a path-breaker among the top 10 car launches of 2011
- ‘Car of the Year’, ‘SUV of the Year’ and ‘Viewers Choice Car of the Year’ by ET – Zigwheels Awards 2011
- ‘SUV of the Year’, ‘Readers Choice Award’ and ‘Best Value for Money Car’ from Top Gear Magazine Awards 2011
- ‘SUV of the Year’ and ‘Viewers Choice Car of the Year’ awards from CNBC TV18–Overdrive Awards 2012
- SUV of the Year’ from NDTV Car & Bike Awards 2012 and Business Standard Motoring 2012 Awards and many more
Stay tuned to Car Blog India for latest updates.
Also read- Mahindra XUV500 Launched In Europe