Whenever there is a new Maruti Suzuki model lined up for the launch, people eagerly await it. In the recent past Maruti Ertiga and 2012 Maruti Swift Dzire were the two cars that attracted most of the media attention. Both these cars neither belong to the same segment nor have the same pricing but are claimed to be family cars. We have covered the launch of these two cars in complete details with pictures and videos, you can check out the same at the links below:
In this article in continuation to our car comparison series on Car Blog India, we will be comparing Maruti Ertiga Vs Maruti Swift Dzire to find out which is a better family car and why. Since these two cars have different target customers, these are priced differently and have difference in shape and size as well, but one commonality in these cars is that both are fuel efficient and targeted as family use cars.
Exteriors Of Maruti Ertiga Vs Maruti Swift Dzire
The new Dzire is nothing but the 2011 Maruti Swift with a smaller and sportier boot. So in terms of looks its similar to the Swift but can be distinguished by its restyled bumpers, grille and rear. The car looks much better than the older Dzire and is much sportier too.
image – Maruti Dzire 2012(left) and Maruti Ertiga(right)
The Ertiga is the latest product which is based on Swift’s platform but resembles Maruti Ritz in looks. It is a completely new design which is simple yet interesting. If we consider the looks of the two only, for me the Dzire is a better car.
Maruti Ertiga LUV Dimensions
- Length: 4265mm
- Width: 1695 mm
- Height 1685 mm
- Wheel Base: 2740 mm
Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Dimensions
- Length = 3995 mm
- Width = 1695 mm
- Height = 1555 mm
- Wheelbase = 2430 mm
Since Ertiga is a MPV, it is significantly larger in dimensions. It is longer, taller and has a much longer wheelbase, the width remains the same though. So if you talk about space and size, Ertiga has the edge over Dzire.
Interior Of Maruti Ertiga Vs Maruti Swift Dzire 2012
images – Maruti Ertiga Interior
images – Maruti Ertiga Interior
The Ertiga and Dzire have identical interior styling and the the fit and finish is good in both these cars. In fact the interesting dual tone colour theme and the plastic quality feels really impressive. Features being offered include ABS , Manual AC, Engine Immobilizer, Power Steering, Internally adjustable ORVM (Manual), Accessory Socket, 60/40 Spilt seats (2nd Row seats with seat slide), Tilt Steering, Retractable cup holder, Body coloured bumpers, Low fuel warning lamp, Door Lock canceller(front), Twin AC, Security alarm system (Door+ Hood), Tachometer, Front Fog Lamp, Audio+CD+USB, Speakers(FRX2+RRX2), Seat back pocket(Co-driver side), Rear Centre Armrest(w/o cup holder), Front & Rear Power windows, Driver ‘s side power window auto down, Coloured outside door handles & ORVM, Remote Keyless entry, ORVM Mounted turn indicators etc.
images – Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Interior
As mentioned above, Dzire and Ertiga have the same interiors but there is a slight difference in the quality of plastics and feel. The list of features include door handles with chrome finishing, Electrically adjustable outside rear view mirrors , Wood inserts at the front door trims and dashboard , Large AC vents for effective air conditioning ,Integrated audio system with USB/CD/AM/FM Radio, USB and Aux-input ,Tilt adjustable steering ,Steering mounted audio controls ,ABS and EBD ,Automatic climate control ,3 spoke steering wheel with sporty black-silver finish etc.
Engine Of Maruti Ertiga Vs Maruti Swift Dzire
Maruti Ertiga LUV Diesel Engine Specifications
- 1.3 litre turbocharged DDIS engine
- Max power of 90 BHP @ 4000 RPM
- Max torque of 200 Nm @ 1750 RPM
- ARAI certified mileage of 20.77 KMPL
- 5 speed manual transmission
- Kerb weight of 1240 Kg for Ertiga Diesel
- Power to weight ratio of 72 BHP per 1000 kg
Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Diesel Engine Specifications
- 1.3 Litre DDiS CRDI Diesel Engine
- Turbocharged Diesel Engine
- Peak Power of 74 BHP @ 4000 RPM
- Peak Torque of 190 Nm @ 2000 RPM
- ARAI Tested Mileage of 23.4 KMPL !
- 0 to 100 KMPH in 14.8 Seconds
- 5 Speed Manual transmission only
- Kerb Weight between 1050 Kg and 1080 Kg
- ARAI Certified Mileage of 23.4 KMPL
- Power to weight ratio of 68.5 BHP per 1000 Kg
The diesel version of both the cars have the same 1.3 litre DDIS engine but there is a remarkable difference in the torque and power outputs. The peak power and peak torque of Ertiga is better but when it comes to fuel efficiency the Dzire easily beats the Ertiga as the former delivers 23.4 kmpl against latter’s 20.77 kmpl. The power to weight ratio of Ertiga is also better which means its pickup is better.
Maruti Ertiga LUV Petrol Engine Specifications
- 1.4 Litre MPFI Petrol Engine
- K14 Petrol Engine With VVTI Technology
- Peak Power of 94 BHP @ 6000 RPM
- Peak Torque of 130 Nm @ 4000 RPM
- ARAI Tested Mileage of 16.02 KMPL !
- 5 Speed Manual transmission
- Kerb Weight between 1175 Kg
- Power to weight ratio of 80 BHP per 1000 Kg
Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Diesel Engine Specifications
- 1.2 Litre MPFI Petrol Engine
- K 12 M Petrol Engine With VVTI Technology
- Peak Power of 85.8 BHP @ 6000 RPM
- Peak Torque of 114 Nm @ 4000 RPM
- ARAI Tested Mileage of 19.1 KMPL !
- 5 Speed Manual transmission or 4 Speed Automatic transmission option in VXi variant only
- Kerb Weight between 960 Kg and 990 Kg
- ARAI Mileage = 19.1 KMPL for Manual Transmission and 17.4 KMPL for Automatic
- Power to weight ratio of 88 BHP per 1000 Kg
If we consider the petrol engines of Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 and Maruti Ertiga LUV, they are both K series engines but have different capacities. The Ertiga has a larger K14 engine with 1.4 Litre displacement and churns out more power and torque but also delivers lower mileage. The extra size and weight of Ertiga also makes its power to weight ratio about 10% lower compared to the New Dzire. Dzire on the other hand is a leaner and meaner car with a smaller 1.2 litre engine which is slightly lower on power and torque, but the power to weight ratio and mileage of the Dzire is more impressive.
Performance And Handling Of Maruti Ertiga Vs Maruti Swift Dzire
Ertiga and Dzire are underpin Swift’s platform which is known for its amazing stability and control on straight roads and sharp corners. The handling characteristics of Dzire are beautiful and they match with Swift’s handling, however the Ertiga feels a little less confident because of its bigger body. But overall both these cars handle very well.
The official price list of Maruti Ertiga LUV ex-showroom Delhi is as follows:
- Maruti Ertiga LUV Petrol LXi is priced at Rs. 5.89 Lakhs
- Maruti Ertiga LUV Petrol VXi is priced at Rs. 6.60 Lakhs
- Maruti Ertiga LUV Petrol ZXi is priced at Rs.7.30 Lakhs
- Maruti Ertiga LUV Diesel LDi is priced at Rs. 7.30 Lakhs
- Maruti Ertiga LUV Diesel VDi is priced at Rs. 7.90 Lakhs
- Maruti Ertiga LUV Diesel ZDi is priced at Rs. 8.45 Lakhs
Maruti Suzuki Dzire 2012 Price
- Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Petrol LXi With Manual Transmission has been priced at Rs. 4.88 Lakhs
- Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Petrol VXi With Manual Transmission has been priced at Rs. 5.41 Lakhs
- Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Petrol VXi With Automatic Transmission has been priced at Rs. 6.66 Lakhs
- Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Petrol ZXi With Manual Transmission has been priced at Rs. 6.30 Lakhs
- Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Diesel LDi With Manual Transmission has been priced at Rs. 5.91 Lakhs
- Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Diesel VDi With Manual Transmission has been priced at Rs. 6.42 Lakhs
- Maruti Swift Dzire 2012 Diesel ZDi With Manual Transmission has been priced at Rs. 7.22 Lakhs
Car Blog India Verdict – Maruti Ertiga Vs Maruti Swift Dzire
Maruti Ertiga Petrol Vs Maruti Swift Dzire Petrol
The base Petrol variants of the Dzire and Ertiga are priced at Rs. 4.88 Lakhs and Rs. 5.89 Lakhs respectively with a difference of about Rs. 1 Lakh. The difference is about Rs. 1.2 Lakhs for Vxi and Rs. 1 Lakh for the top end ZXi variants which is quite a sharp piece difference. If you are looking for a larger car for small trips for 7 passengers, Ertiga makes more sense. But if you only seat a maximum of 5 adults in your car, Dzire is a more economical choice. However, for the extra price, Ertiga does offer oodles of luggage space if the last two seats are folded flat. So if you need lots of luggage space with 5 passengers on board or an occasional small in-the city trips for a family of up to 7 members without much luggage, Ertiga is a more sensible choice, however it will cost you about Rs. 1 Lakh more. Also, if you are looking for an automatic transmission only, then Ertiga is not an option as only Dzire offers an automatic transmission in the VXi variant.
Maruti Ertiga Diesel Vs Maruti Swift Dzire Diesel
Ertiga Diesel has been priced considerably higher than the Ertiga Petrol and the difference is steeper than that in the Petrol and Diesel variants of the New Dzire. If you see variant to variant comparison, the Dzire is cheaper than Ertiga between Rs. 1.2 Lakhs to Rs. 1.5 Lakhs ex-showroom. This is quite a considerable difference in the price for two cars being compared. In the case of Diesel, the Dzire becomes an even more value for money buy compared to Maruti Ertiga. We would recommend to go for Ertiga only when you have often need to carry 7 adults or high luggage very often with 5 or lesser passengers. The reason is that spending Rs. 1.5 Lakhs for occasional airport travel with large luggage does not make any economical sense for most buyers. Also with Dzire you save on fuel and get features like automatic climate control which is missing in Ertiga top end variants. In the end I would like to advice that you do go and test drive both the cars and also thoroughly go through the interiors.
Also check out some more useful detailed comparisons in our car comparison series here – Maruti Ertiga Diesel LUV Vs Toyota Innova 2012 MPV and Maruti Ertiga Diesel LUV Vs Mahindra Xylo 2012 MPV. For latest updates, news and comparisons, do stay tuned to our free email newsletter and like our official Facebook Page.